Papaya is a tropical fruit that is native to South and Central America. It is also called the "king of fruits" because it's one of the most popular fruits in the world.
We will discuss the advantages of eating papaya during periods in this article. Besides that, we will also share with you some other benefits of consuming papaya fruits. So if you want to know more about this fruit, keep reading.
The Facts - Papaya during periods
Every woman goes through the menstrual cycle and faces the side effects. From PMS to heavy flow, cramps to postmenstrual depression, they need to go through a lot. Moreover, this doesn't stop the regular work such as taking care of the house, job, college, etc.
As Indians, we are blessed to have a kitchen full of food and spices that can aid us in more ways than one. These foods can help you with period cramps and mood swings too.
There are many health benefits of papaya during the menstrual cycle. Papaya has been used as a remedy to curb menstrual cramps for a long time now.
Papaya is full of high levels of antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E. This delicious, pulpy fruit also prevents the oxidation of cholesterol. Irregular periods are medically known as oligomenorrhea, which can also be changed with some food items, lifestyle changes, and other easy ways.
Papayas can also prepone periods and stimulate contractions in the uterus. In fact, raw papaya stimulates contractions in the uterus and helps in regulating the menstrual cycle.
In fact, the carotene in papayas stimulates the estrogen hormone, which causes periods.
Can We Eat Papaya During Periods
Yes, eating papaya during periods is safe and beneficial to health. It induces flow. You must be wondering the best way to eat this fruit. Well, you can eat raw papaya or papaya juice twice a day.
You must know that a cup of papaya or one bowl of fresh ripe papaya can be eaten in the middle of the cycle.
Raw papaya breaks down the uterine lining. This fruit is loaded with fibres, minerals, and vitamins and is tasty. It is a storehouse of zinc and magnesium.
Also Read: 10 Juices that helps you ease Period Pain
Nutrition in Papaya
It is full of vitamins and dietary fibres. Papayas also have minerals in them. It is a superfood for delayed periods too. This tropical fruit is rich in phytochemicals, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, proteins, and even fibres, enzymes, glycosides, and flavonoids.
Health Benefits of Papaya
- It prevents diabetes: Papaya prevents blood sugar levels, which is a very common problem now. It is full of dietary fibres that help to fight high blood sugar levels.
- Improves vision: Papayas also help in eyesight. Since it is packed with Vitamin A, it improves eye health. Eat it regularly whether you have periods or not!
- Good for arthritis: If you are an arthritis patient, then include papaya as it has papain, an anti-inflammatory compound that reduces pain and stiffness in bones. Regular eating with strengthening your bones.
- Boosts digestion: Apart from the fact that papayas help women from severe cramps and irregular periods, it also aids the digestive system. It is rich in fibre and water content that take care of bowel movements. Bid goodbye to constipation!
- Protects from Heart Disease: It protects the heart since its full of antioxidants like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E. Intaking any food with high antioxidants can reduce the chances of heart disease.
- Boosts Immune System: Since it is full of antioxidants and vitamin C, papayas enhance immunity. If you want to stay away from frequent diseases and infections, you must have papayas daily.
- Protects against Prostate Cancer: Papaya seeds are also said to have an anti-cancer effect and shield you from prostate cancer for men. It also protects the liver.
Is papaya leaf good for periods?
Yes, the extract of papaya leaf can be used to treat menstrual cramps. It has been proven effective in reducing pain and swelling during menstruation.
The extract of papaya leaf contains compounds that inhibit prostaglandin production which is believed to reduce pain and inflammation during periods. However, some people may experience side effects when taking this supplement such as headache, dizziness and rashes.
Common Papaya Recipe
You can, of course, make a papaya smoothie and enjoy it chilled. Papaya milkshake is a pretty delish dish as well. Papaya's nutritional profile is amazing and thus, you should make the most out of it.
Not just the fruit, the other parts are great as well! You can make papaya pakoras, curries, Halwas, and dips too. Papaya can be used for your regular chicken curry as well because it makes the meat softer.
Also Read: Can we eat mango during periods?
Papayas are great for desserts
We would ask you to ditch rice and have papaya salad for lunch. You can also try papaya thoran, papaya punch, papaya paratha,bruschetta, etc. Papaya also has anti-ageing properties. Ripe papaya can be eaten as a dessert with some fresh cream.
You can eat it as a tangy appetizer or simply enjoy it as a snack. If you have kids at the house who do not like the taste of the fruit, try making papaya popsicles.
Add strawberries and bananas to your otherwise normal papaya smoothie and have it if you face irregular periods. It is very yummy!
If you have a sweet tooth, bake unripe papaya and cut it into quarters. Remove seeds and add some cinnamon and sugar. Do not forget to put some water in a baking pan. Bake the papaya for around 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Dos and Don'ts of eating papaya
Here are a few Dos
- Eat papaya during periods.
- Try to include it in your daily routine.
- You can make various dishes and have them in small amounts.
And, a few Don'ts
- Do not have it during your pregnancy.
- Do not overeat it!
- Do not eat if you have an allergy.
- It can lead to toxicity and even hamper fertility.
- Eating semi-ripe papaya can lead to natural abortion or miscarriage.
Q1. Can Papaya be eaten at night?
Ans: Papaya acts as a laxative and it helps in cleansing the colon. And thus, you must have it at least four hours after your meal. If you are planning to have it at night, plan the timing.
Q2. Can unripe Papaya induce periods?
Ans: Yes, it does because it causes uterine contractions. Have it at least 18-24 hours before the estimated date of the cycle to induce periods.
Q3. Is eating green Papaya good for you?
Ans: It is full of essential nutrients and enzymes to promote digestive health. So you must consume it regularly. Eat papayas for a fitter and leaner version of yourself as it keeps you full for a long time.
All in all - Should we eat Papaya during Periods
To conclude, eating papaya is great to induce menstruation. Eat papayas for their other health benefits too. It improves blood flow to the uterus muscles. You can witness your heart and gut health improving once you start eating it regularly.
Recommended Read: Eating Curd while you are on Periods